How much has Legend of Korra slighted Lin Beifong? Let me count the ways:
- Has basically forced her into the role of the scorned spinster.
- Was dumped by her ex-boyfriend because she either a) was unwilling to have children, b) could not have children, or c) because of some other, unknown inconceivable reason, and has to stand by and watch as her longtime boyfriend goes to lie in the bed of a younger woman.
- Has had to watch from afar as Tenzin happily repopulates his nearly extinct race of benders atop a little hill on Air Temple Island.
- Is asked by her ex-boyfriend if she is willing to watch over the family that he left her to create, despite it being a extremely, fucking awkward inconvenience.
- Has to sit there and endear the audacity of her ex-boyfriend’s wife as she practically waddles her way of the house and suspiciously questions why she and her husband are standing outside alone, almost as if she were afraid of her husband’s intentions, almost if she were aware that deep down her husband is still has feelings for this alone, angry, and childless metal/earthbending former Chief of Police. (Lol, okay, Pema. Fandom, there is no way you can write off that type of behavior.)
- Agrees to watch over the family that her ex-boyfriend left her to create.
- Has one of the daughters of said ex-boyfriend openly voice knowledge about the relationship that Lin had with her father. (“Stay away from my dad’s ex-girlfriend!”)
- Sacrifices her own safety for this family, but mostly does it out of love for her ex-boyfriend.
- And last, but not least: has her bending taken away from her, and all because of her willingness to extend a helping hand to the man she loves, even though he left her for someone else.
- Has to constantly be shitted on by the writers of LOK even though she is one of very few characters on the show that is actually interesting and complex.
The Beifongs just get absolutely no fucking respect.
This. I haven’t been able to really put my anger into words since what’s happened to Lin. And here is why.
The Bei Fongs literally get no respect.